Wednesday, March 1, 2017

What am I working on?
I was working on my short story for presentation for the latter half of last week. I should have finished the second segment of the story, but I got the idea for a sort of apocalyptic world in which trains are the main form of transportation and engineers are like pirate captains. A very bleak and desolate world, very dirty, oily, and dusty. I wrote down a bunch of character descriptions for the railroad titans, who hold great power and influence in their society. I also did some general world building and tossed around some scenarios to use as a jumping off point to start. I want to try and write this story as a pantser. My current idea is for the main character to find a young girl of five or six. He doesn't particularly want to raise her, so he tries to find a place to dump her off that is at least relatively safe.


How do I feel about the process?
I am really enjoying world building for this new story as it gives me an opportunity to use some of the more outlandish characters which I have had on my mind, but who never had a world to live in or a story attached to them. I also am excited to try writing without plotting as much.


What am I reading now?
I'm currently reading As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner and On Writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment